Quality Management and the Teacher Librarian – pt 1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikkilynn07/88613509/Quality management is a very large concept to get your head around. While I understand the general idea, it is the principles and the terminology that takes a bit to get the brain around. But I recognize it’s importance. It is what is often missing – the ‘umbrellic’ process that turns visions into reality. It’s the idea of working on the system to improve the service.

The question the ETL504 – “Teacher Librarian as Leader” course asks of us is this:

After reading, explain how the QM model could be used to enhance the management of information services (LRC) provision in a school.

Our first article about TQM (total quality management) was written by Myron Tribus and is the first time I’ve seen someone connected with management speak ‘our language’ — ie. make the distinctions between industry and the education sector. We’ve had presidents/treasurers on school council try to apply some of the TQM principles to our school plans i the past and it just didn’t work. Our school is not a business, it’s not meant to turn a profit (we’re a non-profit organisation), its meant to be viable but more importantly its meant to be successful. The economic success formula just didn’t work. The success of students is even more difficult to measure when you are not interested in test score success, our philosophy is more holistic, dealing with character as well as academic success.

Again this is where the planning process starting with vision is imperative. We need to define what we are aiming for, beyond a mission statement and philosophy. We (our school community) need to look back at the vision we created years ago.

As far as the TL and Information Services in a school are concerned. Our vision for the LRC must marry with the school’s visions and aims. A TL needs to be in touch with the overall principles, aims and objectives and have ones for the Resource Centre.  I guess we’ll be experts and leaders in this because we’ll have to go through the process twice – once for school and again for the LRC. We are like a service within a service.

Photo from flickr courtesy:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikkilynn07/88613509/

3 thoughts on “Quality Management and the Teacher Librarian – pt 1

1. Hi Catherine, I just wanted to thank you for sharing your knowledge with the forum re: blogs, setting up etc. I’ve always been curious but didn’t know how. I had a peek at your learning journal and it was great. I’ve never blogged myself but was inspired so am thinking of giving it a go. Have signed up but not typed in anything yet except for ‘Fudge’ which is how I feel I’m getting through the subjects both practically ie: eating lots of chocolate ‘fudge’ and metaphorically. Even to get that far is great.

I guess I’m just saying I’m very grateful that there are people like yourself on the forums who are always so generous spirited and prepared to share what you know so that we all benefit. Looking forward to learning heaps more. Regards. Maria Papazoglou.

2. Maria thanks for the comment — so many people have helped me too. TLs are most wonderful community. When you get your blog up please let me know. I’d love to come and ‘visit’ your blog. The school you work at is so different from mine that I am in awe of what you must do every day.

I think as far as chocolate goes, Lindt should be part of the package of materials for each unit of study, don’t you think? 😉

3. Sadly, the website that used to carry information about Myron Tribus has been restructured and the link is dead.