TL + iPod Touch – both fresh out of the box

Author's own photo

Author's own photo

Yay! I received my iPod Touch in the post today. Yes, I’m a latecomer to this piece of technology. I already had a mobile phone and an mp3 player and my laptop, I just didn’t see the point of another toy. But now I’m keen to explore the world of handheld technology and learning so Step 1 is securing the new toy.

I thought it would be useful to document my learning journey (read: steep learning curve) as I work out how to use this both technically and pedagogically.

So here is is: hooked up to my laptop. The first thing the little booklet told me I had to do was sync and charge it. Synching it meant that it dumped down all the stuff I already had in my iTunes store onto the Touch, whether I wanted that to happen or not *sigh* so I now have heaps of old podcasts I’ve finished listening to loaded up.  There doesn’t appear to be any way to leave stuff in the store (I don’t want to delete them), which is a shame cuz I don’t want to wade through all 85 podcasts to find the ones I haven’t listened to yet. I obviously have the old mindset of not wanting to carry my whole library around when I’m only reading one book at a time. I’m sure I’ll adjust. =)

The next thing I worked out was how to upload all my contacts and calendar from Outlook which will be very handy.

The third thing I learned is that this baby is designed to be used wirelessly and so if I want to do something on it directly, we need to have our wi-fi reconnected at home (please, boys!) or I work on the iTunes on the laptop then sync stuff onto the iPod. This shouldn’t be a problem when I use it at school, or once the wifi is working here again.

The booklet suggested the Apple site had a guided tour video to watch but the site has been updated since so the link is dead. However, the video tour is available on YouTube. I am about to watch it now. I’ve included the link below –

Apple New iPod Touch – 2nd Gen Guided Tour and New Features (2008)

Also I watched this one to find a few simple apps I could download and have a play with –

Top 15 Free Apps for iPod Touch and iPhone

One of the first things I learned when I tried to download the apps from the iTunes store is that it requires your credit card details even if the app you are after is free! This is a potential problem for educators wishing to use this in a class, although this is perhaps more of an issue for the IT department to work out (if your school has one). Our school does not so I’d need to seek permission to use my corporate card for this.

Next thing to work out? How to delete apps!