Plan B: Breaking-out the video clips for Book Club

Early Week 4, Term 1

I’m not sure if they were just being nice to the ‘new girl’ but I’ve really lucked out – I get to run lunchtime Book Club at my new school!

Last week 30 or so enthusiastic readers and web addicts showed up and we talked about what the ‘veterans’ had done in Book Club last year and what they’d like to try this year.  They are really keen to go to the movies again this year to watch a favourite novel-turned-into-movie.

With that suggestion under my belt and the knowledge that the Head of  Library had a new big screen installed at the end of last year so we could promote all things library, it seems a very logical step to get into Book Trailers – both watching and creating.

There is certainly no shortage of information out there regarding the making of book trailers for teachers/schools (future post) but I wanted to start my club (well two clubs now! Junior/Senior) looking at proper professional trailers and deciding what makes the good ones work then moving on to view student creations before having a go at creating some ourselves.

Black skid marks on yellow rubber

Screeching to a halt

Most publishers now have their own trailer channels on You Tube, what a great idea! But I don’t need to explain that the sites most people use everyday; Flickr, YouTube etc. are  blocked by public school departments. I’m a solutions kind of girl so am skipping over that discussion to begin my quest to find a way for Book Club to access some of the Book Trailers I’d really like them to see.

Our school uses Moodle as its LMS (learning management system) and it automatically blocks links from YouTube. Once I have a bit more time I intend to learn how to embed video onto Moodle – I read through the material last night but it’s a bit complicated and I want Book Club to watch them this week if possible.

Plan A: I thought about loading up some good examples onto VodPod but found on experimentation that it too is blocked because it is a video site.

Plan B: A couple of weeks ago, I read a post on Richard Byrne’s blog Free Technology for Teachers about Vu Safe. As he describes it:

VuSafe offers a password protected environment in which you can post videos for your students to watch without exposing them to the comments, advertisements, and automatically generated related videos found on YouTube.

When you get to the sign-up page – take note! Only your school administrator can do this. Once a school is signed up then the teachers can populate it with the clips they want and organize them for classes.  I’ve just shot off an email request to our eLearning Coordinator.

Plan C anyone??

UPDATE: March 26th

The IT powers-that-be have listened to staff and consented to unblock the YouTube site, so while we still can’t put YouTube links on Moodle, we can directly access anything we need from YouTube, hooray!